Slip into Sleep with David Romanelli
It’s one o’ clock in the morning and you’re staring at the ceiling. You’ve tried a sleep mask, indulged in a warm bubble bath, and have counted so many sheep that you’ve moved on to water buffalo. Then you remember that you don’t know what they look like. Shit. It’s official: You’re losing sleep over losing sleep.
It’s a fact: Daily stresses often lead to insomnia. If your mind can’t seem to shut off once the lights go out, there’s a good chance that your sleep disorder is stress-related. Luckily, an easy fix comes in the form of yoga-one of the best all-natural stress relievers around. Our favorite is the Slip into Sleep Pose, created by David Romanelli, author of Yeah Dave’s Guide to Livin’ the Moment: Getting to Ecstasy through Wine, Chocolate, and Your iPod Playlist.
In typical Yeah, Dave style, the best way to perform this pose is in bed. Add to the atmosphere by heating an organic cotton, rice-filled Wellness Wrap by Melissa Graves and placing it under your neck or over tense shoulders. Then cover your eyes with a flax-and-lavender filled silk eye pillow from Barefoot Yoga.
Yeah Dave’s “Slip into Sleep” Pose
1. Lie on your back with your legs slightly apart and your arms a few inches from your sides
2. Turn your palms face up
3. Take deep belly breaths and focus on them to quiet your mind
4. Flex all of the muscles in your body-from your toes to the top of your head
5. Lift your limbs and head a few inches off of the mattress. Hold for a breath.
6. Release them back down and relax all of your muscles
7. Focus on completely relaxing each individual part of your body, beginning with your toes and slowly making your way up to your head
8. Imagine that relaxation is a warm liquid oozing through your body, flooding your insides and melting away all tension
9. Stay in this place of stillness for 15 to 20 minutes, then allow yourself to drift to sleep
For more on this story, please visit HealthyBitchDaily.com