Energy bars are convenient, meal replacements for snacks, light meals and pre or post workouts. What should you look for when choosing an energy bar.You want a good balance of protein, carb and fat:
• Look for 4 – 6 grams of protein, 3 -6 gm fiber, 10 – 20 grams of sugar and those with heart healthy fats.
• Luna bar – 70% organic. Great for protein and fortified with vitamin D
• Zing bar – great for protein – chocolate peanut butter is a must
• Pure bar – 100 % organic with nuts, seeds and dried fruit – lower amounts of protein but less fat than others
• Cliff bar – more calories than most about 250 but is fortified to replace nutrients missed at meals
• Soy joy – gluten free, half the size of most crunchy cookie style –takes the edge off hunger but won’t ruin dinner
• Cliff Z bars – for kids – half the size – have a cookie appeal, but offer more protein and fibre for better snack
My advice: use sparingly. Real food is always best
For more on this story, please visit ArtofLivingWell Online.