High Protein, No Gluten, All Good: Molten Lava Cake
Why indulge on empty calories when your dessert can do a little work for you? This high-protein molten lava cake is hiding a muscle-building secret — over 20 grams of protein! The trick is to add pieces of your favorite protein bar into the chocolatey mix, as well as a scoop of protein powder. Celebrity trainer Holly Perkins, who created this recipe, recommends using a lower-sugar protein bar from Promax (she is an ambassador for the brand); this helps keep the sugar levels down.
Get the recipe below.
You can use any chocolate protein bar and protein powder you’d like; the amount of protein in this dessert will vary based on what brand you use. For best results, use baking spray that contains flour.
1 small chocolate-flavored protein bar (Holly recommends using 2/3 of a full-size Promax LS Chocolate Fudge Bar, or one full snack-sized bar)
3 tablespoons coconut or almond milk
3 tablespoons dark chocolate pieces, plus more to top if desired
2 tablespoons oat flour
1 large egg
2 tablespoons protein powder
Nonstick baking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Chop the protein bar into small, bite-size pieces.
- Combine coconut or almond milk and dark chocolate pieces in a glass bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute or less, until gently melted.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together oat flour, egg, and protein powder. Do not overmix. Add a splash of water if necessary to create a thick, pudding-like texture.
- Add the melted milk and chocolate mixture. Whisk to combine, but do not overmix.
- Spray two ramekins with nonstick baking spray, and pour approximately 1/4-cup of batter into each ramekin.
- Place the chopped protein bar pieces in the batter in each ramekin. Add a few more dark chocolate pieces for a richer chocolate flavor, if desired.
- Put remaining (about 1 spoonful) of batter on top, to cover the pieces.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.