Gluten-Free Peppermint Brownie Recipe
Tastes like the boxed versions, but without all those processed ingredients!
By Veronica Bosgraaf , February 20th, 2015; youbeauty.com
Sometimes a girl just needs a brownie. But if I could have one that’s as easy to prepare as boxed mixes but without all of the extra processed ingredients, I’d be set. And they could also be gluten- and dairy-free and still melt in my mouth — that would be even better! My dreams have come true with this recipe: organic rice flour and coconut oil beautifully replace highly processed ingredients with ease. These brownies make living a healthy, balanced life so sweet and easy! People never guess that they contain no gluten or dairy.
Makes one 8-inch square pan
- Grapeseed oil or coconut oil
- spray, for greasing
- 1⁄2 cup white rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- 11⁄2 cups organic cane sugar, blended
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp peppermint extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with oil and line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the white and brown rice flours, tapioca starch, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or using a handheld mixer, beat the coconut oil and sugar on medium speed until well combined, about two minutes. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla, and peppermint extract and beat until incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture 1⁄2 cup at a time, beating until just combined. Stir in the walnuts and spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out nearly clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before cutting and serving.
Veronica Bosgraaf’s Pure Food is out now and available at purefoodcookbook.com.