Snowboarder / Entrepreneur
Gretchen Bleiler is without a doubt one of the most accomplished female snowboarders of all time. The 2006 Olympic silver-medalist got her start on the slopes at age 11, and it didn’t take long for her to become a true pioneer in the sport, pushing the limits in women’s snowboarding half-pipe competitions with high-flying tricks.
The Grand-Prix and X-Games-winning athlete has expanded her career off the hill, as well, designing an outerwear, clothing, goggle and accessory-line for Oakley, hosting on-air spots for Yahoo Sports and other TV and multi-media programs, starring in the snowboard movie, “Stance,” and serving as an active spokesperson against global warming, working closely with stopglobalwarming.org. In 2010, Gretchen was selected by Mattel’s Barbie to be a spokesperson for them—as one of ten “Women to Watch”— a part of their inspirational “I can be…” campaign.
Gretchen’s list of feats is vast, and one of her most recent ventures has been co-founding ALEX, a sustainable water bottle company with her husband, Chris Hotell. Of course, Gretchen is still snowboarding, and will compete throughout the 2011/2012, to help push the sport even further ahead.
- 2011 Winter Dew Tour, Killington, Halfpipe, 2nd Place
- 2010 Guinness World Record: Most Winter X Game Gold Women’s Superpipe Finals-4
- 2010 Winter X Games, Women’s SuperPipe, Gold Medalist
- 2009 Sprint USSA Grand Prix, Halfpipe, Copper, CO, 2nd Place
- 2008 Winter X Games, Women’s SuperPipe, Gold Medalist
- 2007 Breckenridge Grand Prix, 1st Place
- 2007 Winter X Games, Women’s SuperPipe, Silver Medalist
- 2006 Olympic Silver Medalist, Torino, Italy
- 2006 Overall Grand Prix Champion
- 2005 Winter X Games & Gravity Games, Copper, Women’s Halfpipe, 1st Place
- FIS World Cup 1st Place, Bardonecchia, Italy, 1st Place
- 2003 Winter X Games, Women’s SuperPipe, 1st Place
Special Awards and Accolades
- 2010: Sportswoman Hall of Fame for Snowboarding
- One of five athletes featured in 2010 Wii video game, “Triple Crown Championship Snowboarding”
- National Geographic’s 2008 Adventure of the Year Award for Spirit
- 2008 “Best Action Sports Female” ESPY