Snowboarder / Entrepreneur
Gretchen Bleiler is without a doubt one of the most accomplished female snowboarders of all time. The 2006 Olympic silver-medalist got her start on the slopes at age 11, and it didn’t take long for her to become a true pioneer in the sport, pushing the limits in women’s snowboarding half-pipe competitions with high-flying tricks.
The Grand-Prix and X-Games-winning athlete has expanded her career off the hill, as well, designing an outerwear, clothing, goggle and accessory-line for Oakley, hosting on-air spots for Yahoo Sports and other TV and multi-media programs, starring in the snowboard movie, “Stance,” and serving as an active spokesperson against global warming, working closely with stopglobalwarming.org. In 2010, Gretchen was selected by Mattel’s Barbie to be a spokesperson for them—as one of ten “Women to Watch”— a part of their inspirational “I can be…” campaign.
Gretchen’s list of feats is vast, and one of her most recent ventures has been co-founding ALEX, a sustainable water bottle company with her husband, Chris Hotell. Gretchen is now an active spokesperson for the environment and talking within her community and the media about her first-hand experiences with climate change. She is on the Board of Directors for Protect Our Winters (POW), a nonprofit organization bringing together the snow sports community in the fight against global warming.
In April 2014, Gretchen received her certification in meditation from the Chopra Center. She is currently building meditation classes for primordial sound meditation.
- 2013, Copper Grand Prix, Halfpipe, 3rd Place
- 2013, New Zealand World Cup, Halfpipe, 3rd Place
- 2012, World Championships, Halfpipe, 3rd Place
- 2011, Winter Dew Tour, Killington, Halfpipe, 2nd Place
- 2010, Guinness World Record: Most Winter X Game Gold Women’s Superpipe Finals-4
- 2010, Winter X Games, Women’s SuperPipe, Gold Medalist
- 2009, Sprint USSA Grand Prix, Halfpipe, Copper, CO, 2nd Place
- 2008, Winter X Games, Women’s SuperPipe, Gold Medalist
- 2007, Breckenridge Grand Prix, 1st Place
- 2007, Winter X Games, Women’s SuperPipe, Silver Medalist
- 2006, Olympic Silver Medalist, Torino, Italy
- 2006, Overall Grand Prix Champion
- 2005, Winter X Games & Gravity Games, Copper, Women’s Halfpipe, 1st Place
- FIS World Cup 1st Place, Bardonecchia, Italy, 1st Place
- 2003, Winter X Games, Women’s SuperPipe, 1st Place
Special Awards and Accolades
- 2010, Sportswoman Hall of Fame for Snowboarding
- 2010/2008/2004, Awarded Sportswoman of Colorado Award
- One of five athletes featured in 2010 Wii video game, “Triple Crown Championship
- 2008, National Geographic’s Adventure of the Year Award for Spirit
- 2008, “Best Action Sports Female” ESPY